Research & Economic Development

Office of the Vice Chancellor

Negotiating Contracts

A contract is an agreement between two or more parties creating enforceable obligations.  It spells out what each party promises to do.  The Office of Research Services is responsible for the formal negotiation and administration of extramural support for University contract agreements sponsored by government and non-government agencies.  The Vice Chancellor for Research (VCR) is the designee authorized to bind the university.  Contracts should not be signed by faculty or departmental administrators. 

Non-Financial Contracts

Material Transfer Agreements (MTA)- Used in the transfer of materials between two parties, MTAs spell out the ownership of the material. Please click here to submit an MTA request.

Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDA)- Also called a Confidentiality Agreement (CDA), these contracts bind parties to maintaining the confidentiality of propriatary information.  Faculty members will sign off on these agreements as having read and understood the agreement.

Please contact the Office of Technology Commercialization for assistance with NDA's.

Financial Contracts

Financial contracts are being handled by the Pre Award Manager.

As a public, non-profit educational institution, the University is bound by certain policies and regulations regarding what it can and cannot accept in an agreement.  These policies are designated to foster the University's basic mission of teaching, research, and public service and to ensure the acadmemic freedom of our faculty.

ORS, in conjunction with the university legal counsel, has developed standard contracts that can be provided to a potential sponsor for an award.  Please contact the Pre Award Manager for assistance with contracts with industry partners to help ensure compliance with the university's polices.